NOW THAT YOU BELIEVE
First Let's Review:
(Scripture references are denoted by the numbers below).
You came to realize that you are a sinner and that the end result is eternal separation from God. (1) You heard that Jesus Christ is God who came in the flesh to be your sin-bearer or substitute.(2) You deserve to die (be eternally separated from God) but He loved you so much that Christ died for you, in your place.(3)
You realize that to enter Heaven you must be perfect and no amount of effort or good works on your part can erase your past or get you into Heaven.(4) Now you understand that the only way you can get this perfection, and eventually Heaven, is to receive it as a gift from God. God gives it to you. And this is just what He did the moment you believed that Christ died in your place on the cross, where He made a complete payment for your sins. He paid for all your sins and gave you His own righteousness and perfection. (5)
You belong to God; you are God's child (6), and this is forever (7). As a member of God's family you can never be lost. Obedience to His word brings love, joy, and peace (8). Disobedience (9) (sin) brings the Father's hand of chastening with the loss of joy, fellowship, and sometimes much worse, if you continue in disobedience. But remember, doing good works does not save (4), however......
Now that you believe, you should:
Study The Bible, God's Holy Word (10)
God speaks to you through His Word. If you don't spend time in the Bible daily and get to know His Word, you will never become a useful, happy Christian. Read it every day, underline important verses and memorize as much as you can, especially verses that help you and can be used to point others to Christ. When you buy a Bible get King James Reference Bible, it is ideal for believers in Christ of all ages.
When you read the Bible, God talks to you. When you pray you are talking to God, your Heavenly Father. You are a child of God so now speak to Him as a child would speak to his father. Don't wait until you are in trouble before you pray. Thank Him for His many blessings; ask Him to bless your friends, neighbors and family. Pray especially for those who are not yet believers in Christ. Then tell the Lord all about your own needs. A special time should be set aside for Bible reading and prayer, but remember you can pray at anytime, anywhere.
Attend A Bible-Believing And Teaching Church (12)
Everyday ought to be the Lord's Day for the true Christian, but keeping Sunday as a special Lord's Day will bring rich dividends into your life. You need to hear God's Word taught clearly and you need the fellowship of other believers. They need you and you have something to offer to them. Make a decision to attend faithfully a good Bible believing church to worship and to help wherever needed.
Tell Others About Christ (13)
Jesus said "Herein is my Father glorified that ye bear much fruit."(14) The fruit of a Christian is another Christian. Your Christian joy can become full and constant only as you show others how to trust Christ as their personal Savior. To tell others about Christ, you need not wait until you know more of the Bible or the Christian life. Begin now and share what Christ has done for you. You will find happiness leading others to the knowledge of Christ.
Always be on the alert to tell others how they can be sure of Heaven. Get some good Gospel tracts and hand them out. Invite your friends, neighbors and family to church. If necessary, pick them up and take them. Someone has written, "Only one life, t'will soon be past and only what is done for Christ will last." How true this is!
Confess Your Sins To The Lord (15)
There are two extremes. First, some say that a Christian cannot sin. This is not true. (16) The Bible says "If we say that we have no sin we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us." Therefore, sin should always be confessed to God; only He can forgive. Others say, if you sin after receiving Christ as your Savior, you are lost again. This is the other extreme and is absolutely not true. God does not want His children to sin, but since we do sin, He tells us in I John 2:1, "My little children these things write I unto you, that ye sin not, but if any man sin we have an advocate (lawyer) with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous."
Because of Christ you are perfect before God, but in your daily life you are imperfect. The moment God's Holy Spirit convicts you of sin, confess it to the Lord and accept His forgiveness. (17) Don't wait until bedtime or communion service, do it immediately and your joy and fellowship with the Lord will be restored.
Now That You Believe -
Make your life count for God! 2 Peter 1:8, "For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."
Scripture verses referred to above:
(1) Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;" Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
(2) Isaiah 53:6 "All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all."
John 1:14a "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us.... "
(3) John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." 1 Corinthians 15:3 "For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;"
(4) Ephesians. 2:8-9 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."
(5) 2 Corinthians. 5:21 "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." 1 Peter 3:18 "For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God..."
(6) John 1:12 "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:"
(7) John 10:27-28 "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand."
(8) Galatians 5:22-23 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."
(9) 1 Corinthians 11:30-32 "For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world." Hebrews 12:6 "For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth."
(10) 2 Timothy 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
(11) Philippians 4:5-7 "Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Luke 18:1 "And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;"
(12) Hebrews 10:25a "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another..."
(13) Luke 8:39 "Return to thine own house, and shew how great things God hath done unto thee. And he went his way, and published throughout the whole city how great things Jesus had done unto him." Acts 1:8 "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth."
(14) John 15:8 "Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples. "
(15) 1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
(16) 1 John 1:8 "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."
(17) Psalm 51:10 "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me." Romans 8:14 "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God." (1 John 1:9 - See #15)
Adapted from a tract by Pastor Robert A. Miller ........................................................... Email contact Jack or Shirley